Hey there, world! As of the 16th of this month (November), I am now 20 years old! Been on this planet for 2 whole decades.
Side note: I think that when you’re a teenager each new age is fun and exciting, and with each passing year…you’re still a teenager! Then you turn 20….and all the sudden, there’s no turning back. Lol
Since I was gonna be turning 20, I saw an opportunity to have some fun and jumped at it! I asked my FaceBook and Instagram followers if they had any questions for me – if there was ever anything they wondered or thought about but hadn’t asked me – I’ve compiled all their questions, chose 20, and now here it is!
20 Questions with Skylar!
1 “When are you getting married?” (Nike – Insta)
- Jason and I will be getting married in May 2017!
2 “Favorite Bible verse/passage/story?” (Rebekah – Insta)
- One of my favorite verse’s is Hebrews 11:1 (which we have on some of my merch t-shirts), “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.” I like that verse because I feel like it applies to basically everything in life, and we’re told to walk by faith and not by sight.
- One of my favorite passages is 2 Peter 1!
- Favorite Bible story is so hard because they all teach valuable lessons and they all speak to me in different ways. I love the birth of Jesus, the resurrection, Revelation, and I also love the stories of King David’s life. *Find me on FaceBook or Twitter and you can message me to tell me YOUR favorite Bible stories!
3 “Where do you see yourself in 10 years?” (Sherlan – Insta)
- In 10 years, I just hope to be following Gods will and serving others wherever He would have me do that – whether in music or not!
4 “If you weren’t singing, what would you be doing for a career?” (Mallory – Insta)
- I would probably be doing dance! *Fun fact: I teach a hip-hop dance class with my aunt for little kids, intermediate and advanced, and we have a blast with it!
5 “Have you ever wondered what Heaven looks like? What do you think it looks like?” (Ava – Insta)
- I have wondered what Heaven looks like on many occasions! When my great grandma died in 2010, especially. Revelation is one of my favorite books because of that. Heaven is so intriguing because it’s one of the only things that we just can’t see or know until we get there, you know?
- I think it is probably a million times more beautiful than the most beautiful place on earth! “I can only imagine…”😉
6 “What’s you’re favorite song and why?” (Norah – Insta)
- My all-time favorite song is In Christ Alone (specifically by Adam Young/Owl City), because it’s all about the basics – nothing would exist without God and the only way to be with Him is “in Christ alone.” So then, everything we do – from the things we say, to what we think, to how we act – should be done in Christ alone, and through His power.
7 “If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?” (KayJay – Insta)
- Inside the U.S., I REALLY want to go to Alaska someday because of the aurora borealis, the snow, and the difference in daylight hours! Outside of the U.S., I’ve always wanted to go to Italy…and I think Ireland would be beautiful, as well!
8 “What would be your top pointers for teenagers trying to live their lives for God?” (Chloe – Insta)
- Love the Lord your God with all of your heart (your emotions), with all your soul (your spiritual being), with all your mind (your intellect and knowledge), and with all your strength (your physical being); and love your neighbor as yourself. (Luke 10:27)
- Don’t get caught up in “right now,” because there is a greater picture than just our lives. We were put here to be a light and to love and to share joy with others, so don’t get stuck on your immediate situation. Fix your eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of your faith! (Hebrews 12:2)
- YOU DON’T HAVE TO MESS UP – as teenagers, we’re given the expectation to make bad choices and just have fun. But you’re not supposed to lower yourself to that expectation! Prove society wrong and, like Lecrae says in his song “Rebel Intro,” if you really wanna be a rebel, read your Bible because no one’s doing that!
9 “What was your career dream as a child?” (Aunt Angie – FB)
- I actually wanted to be a singer for as long as I can remember! That was always the answer to the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” A singer!
10 “What was your favorite spot to go on tour?” (Kaylyn – FB)
- My favorite place so far has been in PA, or my last tour all through Vermont – which is a lot like PA. I love trees and hills, and both of those places have plenty of those to spare!😉
11 “What was your favorite part of the studio work on the latest album?” (Uncle Obie – FB)
- My favorite part was being able to actually be there during the whole process; listening to my producers talk, spit-ball ideas, and have fun, and being able to give my opinion and play instruments that I’ve never played before! *You can check out some of my studio experience here.
12 “What’s your favorite song that you wrote?” (Kaitlyn – FB)
- My favorite song of my own is Where Your Kingdom Starts – it goes right along with what I like about Hebrews 11:1 and the song, “In Christ Alone.” It’s about letting go of yourself and giving everything to Christ; the reason we have such heavy hearts is because we try so hard to fight for our own agenda, when God has something so much greater in mind.
13 “What’s your favorite animal?” (Caitlin – FB)
- Cats!!! Cats are definitely my favorite animal, and I’m not real sure why because they can really be a pain, haha.
14 “Plan on doing any shows in Cali?” (Gunner – FB)
- I do plan on it, if we can get any! I’ve played there before at a couple youth groups and have had a blast! *Fun fact: I was born in Mission Viejo, CA!
15 “How’s your engagement going?” (Curtis – FB)
- The engagement is going well! We’ve been working on finding suits for the guys, and dresses for the girls, working on food options and getting all the little details in order. We’ve started marriage counseling with a good friend of my family who used to be the youth pastor at my home church, so that’s been fun! Just prepping things, getting together with people, doing devotions and seeking what God wants for us.
16 “In your opinion, what is the best way to lead a person to Christ?” (Tim – FB)
- That’s a super hard question…..I feel like it’s different for every person and every circumstance, because God reaches everyone differently; in a way that will relate to the person the most. If you try to talk to the person any chance you get and share about Jesus often, you can push some people away (even though the Word of God never returns void!). But for others, that is more helpful. You know? So I guess what I would say is that the best way to lead someone to Christ is to have a relationship with the person, so that you know them, and to seek God and what He wants you to do. To listen close and watch for every door that He opens and be aware of every door that He closes.
17 “Did you ever think of writing songs which do not repeat the same things over and over again? Like the hymns of old. (Eric – FB)
- If you mean songs that don’t have a chorus that repeats and just has continuing verses, yes I have. I actually love writing songs like that – I have a couple but they are not on any albums.
18 “Who has God assigned you to for an audience?” (Greg – FB)
- My heart has always been burdened for kids who were in high school going through the crazy dating cycle, or stressed with school, or struggling with bullying, and really just everything that comes with being a teenager and trying to figure out life. But I think that everyone is constantly trying to figure out life. So, the doors that God opens for me to go somewhere and the people that come to my events, or even just people that I cross paths with…nothing happens on accident. So, whoever God crosses my path with in any way is my ministry.
19 “What do you believe to be God’s vision for the music your write/create/perform?” (Greg – FB)
- I believe that He allows me to write songs that speak to everyone differently – and that’s not a pat on my own back, that is only by the grace of God. I believe He wants me to tell people that He loves them, and to bring back a simple message of grace and forgiveness. God has put on my heart to communicate freedom to people – whether it’s freedom from sin, guilt, fear or disappointment. As believers in Christ, we’re all supposed to go out into the world and spread the Good News. So wherever He leads, I will follow.
20 “What is your big dream for your Christian life?” (Henry – FB)
- I want to serve and honor Christ with my life, and share His love with others to one day get to Heaven and hear, “Well done, My good and faithful servant.” (Matthew 25:21)
Thank you guys for your questions!! If you’re interested in hearing any of my music, you can go to my website, or iTunes, Spotify, and Amazon! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog and get to know me – I want to get to know you too, so if you have any other questions for me, you can comment on this post, or you can follow me on FaceBook, Twitter or Instagram and send me a message!
God bless you all and have a happy Thanksgiving!